Home » About

About The DJ Diaries · 소개

Written under Namsan, after dark.

Matthew Clement

I’m Matthew Clement, a Canadian DJ in Seoul since 2002. Over twenty years I’ve held numerous residencies and played venues, hotels and events across Korea, mostly house and disco as Clement. This is where I write down what those rooms taught me: where to go tonight, how the night actually works, and the history behind the sound.

남산 Namsan and N Seoul Tower, from the palace

A great set at three in the morning is one of the more honest things a person can make for other people. No lyrics to hide behind and no story to lean on.

If you’ve been in that room, you already know. If you haven’t yet, this site will help you find it.

Why I do this

Seoul’s nights deserve a proper record.

For a city with this much happening after dark, there isn’t a lot written down for the people in it. Visitors get lists of clubs that closed years ago. Locals get scattered posts, group chats and the memories of whoever was there. Not much of it is in both English and Korean, and almost none of it is written from behind the decks.

I want to add to that. To write down what’s already been built here, by the DJs, crews and rooms that did it, keep it up to date as things change, and follow where the scene is going next.

Every piece is checked against published sources, including Korean-language press.

Records on the shelves of a Seoul LP barNeon signs on a Seoul street at night

Who it’s for

Whether you landed this week or grew up here.

How I work

How you can trust what you read here.

  • Every fact is sourced.Claims link to where they came from, in English and Korean press. If something can’t be confirmed, I say so.
  • Written from the booth.More than twenty years of playing these rooms comes first. Research backs it up.
  • Kept up to date.Clubs open and close. If something here is wrong or out of date, tell me and I’ll fix it.
  • Other voices are credited.Interviews are marked as interviews, and quotes say who said them.

The story so far

Fifty years of dance music, and where Seoul fits in.

1970s · New YorkDisco and the loftsDJs learn to blend records so the dancing never has to stop.See the era →
1980s · Chicago and DetroitHouse and technoDrum machines, cheap synths and Black club culture build two sounds the world still dances to.Meet the machines →
Late 1980s · BritainAcid house and raveThe music leaves the clubs for warehouses and fields.Pick a year →
2000s · SeoulHongdae and ItaewonClub nights grow around Hongik University and in Itaewon, and Club Day lets one wristband open many doors.Read the Seoul story →
2010s · SeoulThe underground finds its feetSmall rooms in Itaewon and Haebangchon build their own DJs, crews and labels.Meet the rooms →
TodayDay parties to after hoursSeongsu warehouses, Euljiro bars and festival stages. The floor still works the way it did in 1970.Explore the tools →

Open the full timeline →

Bookings

Planning a night in Seoul?

Club nights and private parties, company events and weddings. Good music is good music: tell me the crowd and the feeling, and I’ll find the DJ who fits.

Book a DJ

Get involved

The scene is bigger than any one room in it.

Writers, promoters, DJs and readers all keep this site honest. Pick what you have for us and the form writes the email for you.

Pitch a piece

We publish essays, profiles, scene reports and guides from people with something real to say. First person is welcome, and so is Korean. Tell us the idea in a few lines before you write the whole thing.

The button opens your email app with everything filled in, so nothing is stored on this site. Planning a paid event instead? Use the booking form.

Quick answers

Who runs The DJ Diaries?

Me, Matthew Clement. I've lived in Seoul since 2002 and played its house and disco rooms for more than twenty years. I write every piece on the site; guest writers are welcome, and anything they send carries their name.

Is The DJ Diaries a magazine or a booking agency?

Both, in a way. It's an independent publication about dance music culture and the Seoul scene, written by me. Separately, I play house and disco for weddings, company events, pop ups, private parties, club nights and festivals, booked through the Book a DJ page.

Does The DJ Diaries interview artists?

Not yet, but that's changing. Interviews with Seoul DJs, crews and venue people start in late 2026, and each one will be clearly marked as an interview. Until then, artist and venue pieces come from research, public sources and my own nights in the rooms, and opinions are labelled as opinion.

Can I write for The DJ Diaries or get my event featured?

Yes. The Get involved section on this page has one form for pitching a piece and another for sending us an event, with the date, venue and lineup.

How do I get in touch?

Use the contact form on this page, or email clement.mj@gmail.com for bookings, corrections, syndication requests or anything else.